We arrived to our house 29 December just 2 days before the year ending. After sleeping well we decided to check some undiscovered areas to us, heading to the East from the Canillas de Albaida and even more to the East from Competa.
Our walk started in Canillas de Albaida, on the goat trail towards Competa.
The goat trail is the best way to reach Competa by walk. It has very beautiful views over the Mediterranean and the village's avocado plants. There are not elevation after you have reached the trail. The biggest elevation is in the beginning and until you have reached the stage 4 below.
The trail itself can be difficult to find but please follow the google map or instructions given below:
1. Head up to Calle Carril de Santana (Canillas de Albaida) and walk upwards until you reach the cross Calle Carrill de Santana and Calle Camero.
2. Now you'll see the dirt track on the right hand side leading upwards.
3. Follow the trail around 200 m, walk beside the house (stairs) upwards until you reach the goat trail, It starts after you have passed the house.
4. Turn right and start following the trail.
5. Proceed along the trail until you come to the road. At the road turn to the right.
6. Walk approx 300 m until you see villa Markez. Walk towards the house gate and there the goat trail continues.
7. Follow the goat trail until you arrive at Competa.
8. You will pass Ermita de San Anton (Chapel) and the Hotel Balcon.
9. Walk without turning left or right and then you end up in main Plaza (Plaza Almijara).
The route takes approx 30-40 minutes and it is 2.7 km long.
Google Map: Find goat trail
At Competa we looked closer at the map (Wikilog) and found the instructions to our main starting point. Here comes the instructions how to find our starting point in Cruz del Monte.
1 .Head up towards Plaza de Vendimia and then walk quite steep upwards towards urbanization Cruz del Monte. You will see the sign Sendero Casa de la Mina Pradillos.
2. Keep walking steep upwards.
3. When you reach the top, you find a car park (if you have a car you can get closer and park your car here as well)
4. Start walking towards the route. The route is circular and we decided to start towards the East.
5. In the beginning the route has no elevation and is quite easy.
6. You will pass the Casa Rural and the road starts elevate more and more.
7. After 3.3 km and around 1 hour you' ll arrive to Puerto del Collado - view point!
Google map: find to Puerto del Collado
This hike is a beautiful one ! You start at the viewpoint overlooking Competa and walk up a track towards Casa de la Mina and around the back of Competa. Views from up here look down to the coast at Nerja and on a clear day, the Atlas Mountains and Morroccan coast can be seen. You continue to walk up towards the track, surrounded by pine trees and the sounds of birds and animals, leaving the noises of the town far behind you. Once at the top, views of mountains and lush valleys complete the walk. There are picnic tables and benches to sit on and admire the views. The circular walk takes about 2.5 hours from this point, but there is an extended full day walk that you can also do from here.
Wikilog map (route):